Tuesday, 10 February 2009

MEMORIES......

The Old Boys 8x8 Acrylic sold
This is a study of Clydesdales I painted few years ago....I was reminded of it this morning after reading Judy Woods wonderful art photograhy blog and seeing her lovely photographs of this breed of heavy horse which orginated from Clydeside in Scotland. Sadly we don't see too many of them in the fields these days. I remember when I was a little girl and my parents used to take my brother and I to Barassie beach in the summer evenings. On the way home he always came back through Gailes so that I could see the fields of Clydesdales and their foals. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the Stud Farm but it was a treat just to stand at the gate and watch them. Before long curiosity would get the better of them and they would amble over dropping their huge heads to my level........ahh those were the days.
The study itself was done at one of the Ploughing Competitions that still goes on with enthusiasts of the breed....if my memory is right this was at Mossgiel Farm outside Mauchline where the poet Robert Burns once lived and if memory also serves me he wrote the poem 'To a Mouse' after turning over a mouse nest with his plough. Thanks for the memories Judy :))

9 comments:

jane augenstein said...

Ahhh, the beautiful Clydesdale, I think that they are one of the most beautiful of all the draft breeds. Those snowy white feathery feet, love those! I got to see the Budweiser horses once while in Florida, breathtaking!

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

Beautiful! Your use of light and shadows are wonderful!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Beautiful they are Jane I especially love the foals with their fluffy tails....and so paintable :))

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Gail as I recall it was a lovely crisp sunny morning which helped with the shadows. So looking forward to the shows this year it's about the only chance you get to see these big horses now. Love watching them being prepared to go into the ring.

Judy Wood said...

Hi Elizabeth---glad I was able to conjure up some memories for you and lovely to see your painting of the "big boys". I will be doing lots more Clyde photos as the seasons evolve, and hope to get to a local herd that has 45 of them! I can hardy wait for foaling season to see the babies.

There are quite a few here in Saskatchewan, but they are nonetheless a little difficult to find unless you happen to meet the right people, which I have been lucky to do.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Hi Judy that sounds wonderful and I'm looking forward to seeing your work. The babies can look so comical but always sweet. Lucky you have such a big local herd will be an impressive sight.
Your photgraphs have wetted my appetite and I'm putting some feelers out for breeders in my area. I should certainly find some at Ayr County Show and definately the Royal Highland but feel certain there must still be breeders in Lanark where the breed originated from and Good Luck with the website it looks wonderful :))

Linda Shantz said...

This is gorgeous, Elizabeth!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Linda :)

Judith A . Bates said...

I really love this painting Elizabeth :) Such a wonderful moment captured, and gorgeous light!!