Saturday, 4 July 2009

Magic.........


Every now and again something just magical happens and for me it happened this morning. Was making my way back along the country walk this morning when my eye caught movement a field away. Was a huge hare making it's way back home. It was really too far away for me too get anything like a photo but I zoomed in anyway and clicked....that hare took off like the hounds off hell were after it, they're hearing is truly amazing. Was a rubbish photo as I thought but....and here is where the bit of magic took place. As I made to move off a rustle in the grass to the right off me caught my attention. Imagine my surprise when a tiny head and two beady eyes of a stoat popped up out of the grass. S/he clocked me about the same time as I clocked it and it shot like a rocket across the path in front of me and into the grass on the other side. Didn't even get a chance to lift my camera. So there's me standing disappointed at having missed such a good chance when s/he pops their head up again and just as quick disappeared again. This time I lined up my camera and hoped and prayed sure enough s/he came for another look and click. May not not be the best wildlife photo in the world but it's my favourite and I've got a smile that will stay on my face all day.

12 comments:

winter breeze said...

beatiful picture!!

Dean H. said...

What great luck you had, and really enjoyed hearing how this photo came about!
That hare was apparently the stoat's intended breakfast.
Great photo...would make nice painting!! :)

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Couldn't believe my luck Dean, just one of those moments that stay in your head. Hare was a bit far off for the little guy but he'd have had a shot if it had been closer. They may be tiny and cute but they are very efficient killing machines and can cause havoc in a burrow....mini ferrets lol. I haven't done many wildlfe paintings but your right would make a nice one :)

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks winter breeze glad you liked it :))

Leslie said...

What a wonderful story and great shot!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Leslie...was more luck. I've still got a smile on my face :)

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Oh what a magical moment! How adorable. I love that he/she just had to take one more look at you! A Stoat, huh...might be the inspiration for my next painting! Thanks again for sharing this cute story and pic.

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

Isn't it wonderful when these unexpected magical moments happen! He is so cute and you really did get a great shot.

jane augenstein said...

What a cute little critter!!! Good shots and story to go with it!
~Jane and Gilly~

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

It was Melody really set me up for the rest of the day :) Thought of you when I put photo onto my computer reminded me of your lovely artwork.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Debbie I'm really pleased with it :)

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Jane glad you enjoyed it :)