Sunday, 30 August 2009

From the Scrapbook......

"The Harvest Field"
Lucy Kemp Welch 1869 - 1958
The other day I mentioned a scrapbook that I kept of paintings that I admired. Collecting them from magazines, newspapers e.t.c. This is another of them by the artist Lucy Kemp Welch. I can't be certain but I'm sure she illustrated the early editions of Black Beauty one of my favourite books as a child and indeed even now. This is a watercolour and I just love the sympathetic way she captures these two old plough horses, you imagine they have worked together for many a year. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do :)
"...we call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." - Anna Sewell author of Black Beauty

6 comments:

jane augenstein said...

Beautiful painting, but they look sad and worn down by hard work. The quote from Anna Sewell brought tears to my eyes. Many suffer at the hands of heartless humans; such beautiful creatures should be treated with kindness for all they have done for mankind.
~Jane

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

They probably were, at the time it was painted horses were still being thought of as beasts of burden. I loved the quote by Anna Sewell as well, she wrote Black Beauty to try and highlight the plight of horses in those days. It's a wonderful book and never fails to dampen my eyes.

Jennifer Rose said...

I've read Black Beauty dozens of times, and will probably read it a dozen more. It is really good book and Anna Sewell did a great job writing about the horse and the troubles they can have.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Yep it's definately one of those books you'll never forget!

Carol @ TheWritersPorch said...

Elizabeth....LOVE that painting!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Me too Carol it's work like this that gives me inspiration to strive harder at my craft :)