Wednesday, 25 November 2009

FROM THE SCRAPBOOK - "PONIES IN A SANDPIT" BY MUNNINGS

"Ponies in a Sandpit" - Sir Alfred Munnings
Thought I'd post something from the Scrapbook today as it seems to be one of those days when artist block as reared it's ugly head. When this happens I immerse myself in my scrapbook of images cut from magazines e.t.c it never fails to get me fired up again. And no one more than Munnings reminds me of what I someday hope to accomplish. I can't say I've ever looked at a Munnings painting or sketch without admiration for a man who for the best part of his painting life had the use of only one eye. This one "Ponies in a Sandpit" is a particular favourite, of ponies grazing on rough grass near the beach. The colour makes you feel the heat of the day ( a blessing with the weather we're getting) and I swear the ponies tails and ears are twitching to keep the flies at bay....oh to stand in front of the original and see the brushstrokes.
Ah well time for some lunch after taking care of the horses needs and back to the drawing board......

9 comments:

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

I love Munnings, thank you for sharing this painting. I saw an exhibit of his work last year - it was amazing to say the least.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Lucky you Jennifer that would have been a real treat :)

Sheona Hamilton Grant said...

You've brought the sun in to our day here too. Brilliant! Millions thanks to both yourself and Munnings.
Do you know where the original is exhibited?

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

No sorry I don't but do know he painted quite a few ponies in sandpits bit like Monets lily ponds....smile. Do know the white pony was a favourite of his called Augereau he featured a lot in Munnings paintings of Ponies and Gypsies. Munnings bought ponies from a dealer to use as models and swapped them on occassion but Augereau lived out his life at Castle House.

Linda said...

Munnings is my favorite artist. Lindax

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Glad to hear that Linda :)

Zoe said...

'Ponies in a Sandpit' is at the Norwich Castle Museum's Colman Gallery. Quite a few Munnings are hung there, they are all equally alive and 'sunny side up'!

How refreshing to find an equine painter who doesn't send his horses to the knacker's yard or worse - unlike Stubbs, not to mention his poor old (young) daughter. Do you think she saw it as an adventure with Dad? -

Maybe.

Debs said...

I remember seeing this painting in Norwich Castle Museum as a child, and have always loved it.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

My goodness Debs you've certainly been sifting back through my Blog...glad you like it one of my favourites :)