Saturday, 9 January 2010

WORK IN PROGRESS OIL ON BOARD....


Worked quite a bit on Jack's portrait this afternoon, been a wee while since I've painted with oils and I forgot just how good it feels and how smooth they flow. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the speed of working with acrylics especially when things are to a deadline but you seem to be able to manoeuvre oils....like sculpting with paint. Over this year I hope to be revisiting the mediums I have used in the past, so I'll be dusting off my box of pastels,but, I'm ashamed to say it's been so long since I used watercolours I shall have to renew them.
It's being something of a challenge with the portrait. Jack has odd markings which I'm trying to capture but I also have to take care to show his bone structure. Being grey his markings will disappear with age and his coat will become paler and eventually white but his owner wants him painted now while you can still see them.
I would normally just work on one portrait at a time but I think I might try having a few on the go, one to see if I can do it and two to make it a little more interesting for those who are looking in....can't be much fun watching paint dry :)
Thanks as always for looking in.

8 comments:

Lynda Schumacher said...

This is looking good, Elizabeth. My goodness I wish I could oil paint! I so like the effects one achieves with them. Well, slowly, I will get there. Well done!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Lynda, I am certain you will be able to paint in oils. Blah blah years ago when I worked as a hand trialist in a Design Studio one of the designers took an interest in my drawings and said I should paint. Having tried and failed miserably before, I doubted her advice but one thing stuck in my mind, she said if I could draw I could paint. I have never had an art lesson in my life, everything I have done and still do is trial and error. Just relax and paint the rest will come :)

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

It looks to be another lovely one Elizabeth! I love oils, unfortunately the oil paint itself gives me a headache unless the window is wide open. So I stick with acrylics.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Have just started back with them Gail. Had a problem myself with them, I developed a reaction with them because of my asthma. Turned out it wasn't actually the oils it was the solvents I now use an odor free turps and so far everything is fine :)

Sheona Hamilton Grant said...

Yummy! Funny I've been told the same: if you can draw you can paint....just can't let my graphite friends go! Maybe one day, do have the oils on stand by ;)

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

I certainly will Sheona and a mighty fine job I'm sure you'd do :)

Gary Keimig said...

Your recent horse posts are really great Elizabeth.
HAPPY NEW YEAR and God bless.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thank you Gary that's kind of you to say, I'm hoping to be painting more horses and improving my skills. Can't think of anything much better than watching a work come to life on the easel. A happy and prosperous New Year to you and your good lady and family :)