Tuesday, 9 February 2010

FROM THE SCRAP BOOK.........


Last night while I was reading through some of my favourite blogs I was reminded of Sir Edwin Landseer's stunning painting "The Monarch of the Glen". A friend of mine has a print of this work hanging in her hall and I love looking at it, in fact it moves me to tears (those, I'll never be able to paint like this tears), even in the print you can see the delicate work that goes into sculpting the stags face and yet it is a powerful painting positively oozing with testosterone. Landseer painted a lot of deer on the hills of Scotland and I was actually looking for another of one with hinds on the hillside but sadly haven't found it. Wyoming artist Gary Keimig is planning a painting of a herd of deer he and his wife found when on their journies. And this is what made me think of Landseer, wish I could have found the painting with the hinds to show Gary how Landseer tackled it but I'm looking forward just has much to see Gary's rendering of the subject. The other painting is also a Landseer at it is of a Newfoundland which he is also well known for depicting. In fact the dog's are also know as Landseer dogs.
Well I'm off to do a wee landscape as Aberfeldy will be needing images for the Spring Exhibition Catalogue next week and I'm also planning a large mares and foals painting (which will take a bit longer)....must be Spring fever setting in..lol. I actually was supposed to up at Perth today but had a change of plans when Mr B's horse Do It For Dalkey was entered by Lucinda to run at Sedgefield this afternoon, finger's crossed for him but more importantly a safe return.
Thanks as always for looking in and have a great day where ever you are.

4 comments:

L. D. Burgus said...

I have seen those paintings before. I think there is an insurance company that uses the buck as it's symbol. They are wonderful paintings.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Yes Larry they're very impressive :)

gwentman said...

Hello Elizabeth
Greetings from Wales. Lovely interesting blog. I invite you to look into my blog which is completly different, but you may find it enjoyable, I hope so.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Gwentman...I enjoyed your blog lovely photographs :)