Sunday, 1 August 2010

CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S AUGUST.....

It's a little hard to believe that this is the first of August but I guess the warning signs have been there with the days getting shorter. But this morning was the clincher, I've been suffering since Friday with a cold. I hate colds, first the warning sign of a raspy sore throat, then yesterday the constantly dripping nose and streaming eyes. Today the difficulty breathing, I find the best cure apart from an inhaler is a walk. It was during the walk that I noticed the subtle change in the countryside. The vibrant green is mellowing, not just because hay has been cut or that the barley is ready, you can see it in the trees. The berries are ripening on the hawthorn, lots of berries which reminds me of the old saying 'Many haw's many snow's'. Most of the wildflowers have gone or are going to seed and the birds are gorging on them. The change in the air not really a chill more of a freshness, the trees that were first to produce their leaves look a little tired and there's a quiet whisper moving through their branches. Even the animals are different this morning when I turned out Tara and Dougal I noticed for the first time their summer coats are starting too moult...yep hard too believe or not August is here.......
Move it, move it, move it....these Magpies looked as if they were doing their best to roll this bale lol...


You can definately see the change in the countryside colours here.

Gone too seed.

Rusted look of the dokin leaves


Thistle is having a bad hair day as it's seeds are blown in the wind.



Not quite ripe yet, but these sheath's are sheltered by the hedge.


Have no idea how this lot managed to get themselves in here by their expressions I don't think they know either lol.

I'm shy Mary Ellen I'm shy

Just a few shots from the camera on my walk this morning for you all too enjoy :)) as for my cold, feels much better!!

4 comments:

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

Summer colds are horrid!

It's definitely August. Here in these parts August goes with these words~HOT, HUMID, HAZY. In fact July was such this year also, hottest since 1952 with only 6 days not in the high 90's or 100's. This week more 100 degree days. Am so not looking for to this month. Walks are out too. Humidity and heat indexs of 105 degrees make it unbearable even in the late evening and early mornings. I am so looking forward to our first frost in October!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Oh my Gail that is warm I'm afraid I'd be cooked. Sore throat, runny nose and streaming eyes have gone just left with a wheezy cough now :(

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Fabulous cows!! Sorry about your cold.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Didn't last too long Mary...yes aren't these charolais gorgeous :)