Sunday, 10 October 2010

FRAMING.....







I've had one or two questions about what kind of frame I put on my paintings. So I thought I'd show you some of the frames I use. A frame can turn a painting you might be thinking is a little below your standard into something quite special, but it can also work the other way. My advice is to go to a professional framer if your not sure what you want or what will suit, they are the people with experiance to make your painting come alive. I get all my frames made up by a family run framers called Picture Choice they are based locally in Kilmarnock and I've been with them for something like sixteen years...they are that good! My preference is to keep it simple so I stick with gold or silver, or a combination of both can look particularly elegant. The images above are not the best as it's very difficult to avoid glare but you can see the frames ok and I always use a slip and glass but again that's just my preference. The cost of framing has risen considerably in the past few years but try to think of it as adding to the value of your investment.

3 comments:

Linda Shantz said...

Thanks for showing those, Elizabeth - I'm not usually a fan of gilt frames, but these are all so nice!

Karen M Schmidt said...

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for sharing your framing photos ... I remember that painting at the top from a couple of weeks ago on your blog ... you said you weren't really sure if you liked it ... but it's lovely! Beautiful frame choice. And the last picture looks very striking in that gold frame with the wide mat. I really like that!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Linda I'm not a great fan of ornate gilt frames but these ones do seem to lend themselves to my work. Plus they seem to avoid the knocks and bumps which can happen so easily when they do the rounds of the Galleries!

You are welcome Linda and correct I wasn't to sure of that painting but the frame has added something to it....I like that last one too, here's hoping it finds a new wall to adorn as it will be going to the Aberfeldy Gallery's Christmas Show.