Monday, 13 December 2010

"PETER" (Charolais Bull) ACRYLIC 6X8

"Peter" study of a Charolais Bull
Acrylic 6x8

Spent today on the finishing touches to Peter the bull and if I say so myself he's looking pretty handsome. This is the first of the paintings I'm planning of the Charolais family that I'm very lucky to have almost at my doorstep. Peter as I call him gave me cause for concern (even though they don't belong to me) at the beginning of the year when it was obvious that he was ill with what looked like a tumor on his right hip. He was desperately thin and for a while he remained in a small paddock next to the farm by himself. He was put in with the ladies and their calves around July still looking very poorly but as the weeks went by there was a gradual change in him as his body began to fill out and the lump receded. Spending time watching the herd it's obvious that he is very caring and protective of his family group even the calves that I'm sure aren't his, I've often caught him licking and nudging them playfully. If he were human he'd be a right nice bloke :)

Elizabeth

emccrindleart@hotmail.co.uk

10 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

He is a handsome bull, Elizabeth, and I do like how you've painted the background.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Kathryn I wanted to make him stand out :)

Lee said...

I really enjoyed the story behind the painting. The background is perfect as is the bull.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Lee I enjoyed sharing it with everyone :)

Jennifer Rose said...

majestic looking guy :) its really interesting how gentle such big animals can be

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Hi Jennifer yep for his size he is very careful around the wee calves.

RLT Art said...

Brilliant piece! Love how you painted the background - he really stands out against it

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks for the lovely comment Rebecca :)

Diana Marshall said...

Handsome bull, beautifully painted.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thank you Diana I'm so pleased with the way this has turned out....they are all my favourites but some more than others :)