Wednesday, 26 January 2011

BEGINNING....

Didn't manage any work at the easel today, I was catching up with the paperwork and trying to sort out many of the images I've taken over the last year. It sometimes helps to flick through them when I need some inspiration. Though sometimes, it can also have the opposite effect and just overloads my head. Later on in the afternoon I lifted my sketch book and had a shot at the image above. Right at the beginning way before I ever thought about painting for a living I drew and that was it, any painting I attempted hit the bin. Now it feels alien to actually draw. Oh, I draw or rough sketch an outline out before I start painting, that's it. It's been a long time since I've actually sat down and drew something. But, I'm going to make a concentrated effort to draw more, very relaxing just me, the paper, the pencil........and the eraser!

And talking about beginnings I found this not long ago when I was clearing away some of Mum's things. It was at the bottom of a chest she kept blankets and sheets in. I think I was six/seven when I painted it, was an art competition at school. I won first prize and got to pick a book for my prize, it was called 'Baby Animals' and is probably still in the loft somewhere. Have to say my eyes were a little damp when I found it, imagine her keeping it all those years.

2 comments:

Linda Shantz said...

I can relate to what you're saying about drawing, Elizabeth! Odd, isn't it? I draw much better with a brush than a pencil these days. And love that award-winning work! ;-)

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Same here Linda but I'm going to push some pencil now and again...it can only get better :)
Glad you like the squirrel some should snap it up as my early work lol