Monday, 24 January 2011

"TIME TO REST" ACRYLIC 6X8

"Time to Rest "
Acrylic 6x8 on board
£250-

Will be on exhibition at the Aberfeldy Gallery Spring Exhibition from 1st April - 6th May.


I don't normally post twice in one day but as I managed to get this one done in late afternoon thought I would. This lady had just finished with her morning milking and was taking a rest in the morning sun. Sadly a lot of the farms around where I live have given up their milk herds. I believe that European ruling means they can only produce so much milk. The supermarkets control how much gets paid and the smaller farms just can't compete. I used to earn my pocket money at weekends and summer holidays working at Greenhill Farm. I loved going out at three o'clock with the dog to bring the ladies in. Not that they needed much coaxing, their udders uncomfortably full they were usually waiting at or near the gate to get in. My Gran worked as a milk maid as a young woman, first at Busbiehill Farm (the farm just past where I stable Tara). She used to tell me stories when I was little about the cows she had looked after and how when she went to work in the morning she walked through the fields. As she passed each cow it joined in a procession and followed her up to the byre's. She eventually left Busbiehill and went to work on a farm near Stewarton but as she didn't live in she walked the eight miles there and back every day, winter and summer. We have things so easy now!
Wonder if she was having a look over my shoulder as I painted this one, and if she approved :)

Elizabeth
emccrindleart@hotmail.co.uk

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Elizabeth - I enjoyed seeing the work in progress. This is a simple and wonderful piece. I love the serenity of the hazy day and the addition of the second cow in the background is perfect.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Susan I really enjoyed doing this one made me think of hazy summer days to come....hopefully :)