Monday, 7 February 2011

BIT OF A MELTDOWN + FOAL STUDY from the sketch book

Foal study in pencil
8 x 11.5 approx (from the sketch book)



Finally got around to finishing this pencil study and I'm really quite pleased with it. Will definately be using the sketch pad more often ( she says guiltly). Had a bit of a meltdown towards the end of last week. Nothing I did seemed to work, and by Saturday I was having one of those hysterical moments. I can't do this, it's gone I'll never paint again. A few artists reminded me that it happens to all artists, so with that in mind I've decided to keep both ears...smile. Actually I also recieved a lovely email from a fellow artist who lives in South Africa. Di wrote to tell me that my blog has helped to comfort and inspire her with her artwork (she also does horses). Di if your reading this today you have no idea how your letter lifted my spirits. Di was relieved to find through my blog that paintings don't just jump off the conveyer belt and they don't always turn out right. And I was reminded, that the good paintings, those that slip from your hand onto the canvas as if by magic, far outweigh the bad.
Happy painting where ever you are!

4 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Yup, I had my meltdown in October and November. It is a bit frightening, feeling on may not be able to paint again. It must be the artist version of an anxiety attack. I will say that I, too, find your blog a morale-booster.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks for popping in Kathryn I'm glad to hear that the Blog gives you a little boost. I think as artists we all get encourgement from each other. I must admit I love writing my Blog :)

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

I think meltdowns are common! After my hand injury I was so afraid I had lost my ability to hold a pencil and draw.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

An injury would be a whole lot worse Gail. When my father died eight years ago and I was left to care for my Mum (dementia) and brother (disabled) I couldn't paint neither mentally or physically. Something that had been my every waking thought left me leaving a gaping hole. It's been a real challenge for me to get back to painting everyday but my Blog has been a God send :)