Thursday, 31 March 2011

BIT OF A PANIC WITH OILS...Sal's portrait a work in progress.




Progress continued today with the lovely Sal after a bit of a panic. After years of painting with oils I've developed a reaction to them, not handy when your an artist. Most of my work these days is with acrylics so perhaps this is part of the reason. After having had a nasty bout of flu I was a little apprehensive of going back to oils. So I armed myself with rubber gloves and a face mask and it was definately much better. I'm guessing though I won't be doing any demos in oil anytime soon as I hate to think how I look lol. Bit of a pain though is I like blending bits of my work with my fingers, thats out with the rubber gloves. Guess it's a small price to pay if I can get the work done. At least the effects don't last long after I stop......any suggestions would be greatfully recieved!

6 comments:

Sarah Clegg said...

Have you tried using Zest-It instead of traditional solvents, Elizabeth? I absolutely swear by it. No fumes apart from a pleasant smell of oranges, it's natural, non-toxic and biodegradable and you can even clean your hands with it. Works particularly well with Alkyds too. I'm allergic to loads of things but have never had a problem since I started using this both for mixing and brush-cleaning... give it a go!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

No haven't tried that Sarah, will give it a go and see if it'll help, just so annoying as I love painting in oils.

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

I have a similar problem with oils also. Everyone keeps saying to use different solvents, but that is not my trouble. I can not tolerant the smell of the oil paint itself, a problem that has gotten worse over the years. My eyes water, nose stops up, get to wheezing and if I get any paint on me I break out. Dearly love to paint in oils as I love how they blend and the open time, but almost never do so anymore due to the allergy.

Sal's portrait is looking wonderful!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

It's not a breathing thing for me my lips and hands start to tingle it's the oddest feeling. This will be a disaster if I have to stop using them :(

Linda Shantz said...

I know I would be devastated if I could no longer work in oil, Elizabeth, so I understand your panic! Perhaps a different brand of paint would be better? That's kind of a hard thing to test, though! :-/

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

I won't give up without a fight Linda. I enjoy painting in any medium but there's just something special about oils! Keeping everything crossed it'll pass!