Wednesday, 22 June 2011

SMILE....DON'T CRINGE

Amber and Pebble
Oil on canvas
20x18

I was doing a bit of tidying yesterday and unearthed this painting from the corner I had put it in. I'm sure most artists at some time or another have been lucky enough to have follow up commissions. Sometimes, those commissions can have a good few years in between them. The cringe factor happens when you are re- aquainted with the first painting and you see the errors screaming at you. All you want to do is take the painting in hand and alter them. But really that's only ego talking, stop and think how your style has improved and developed. Don't cringe, smile at what you've achieved.
The painting was done for my mother more years ago than I care too mention and was of two of the family pets Amber and Pebble. It's a strange thing but this and the painting I did of Tara are the only paintings I've done of my own animals (Dougal doesn't count as he didn't actually belong too me). Something I should perhaps address in the future plus a re-do of this one...smile.

6 comments:

Diana Marshall said...

I know what you mean! I've been re-doing some paintings lately too, still a very sweet painting and I'm sure your mum loved it.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Diana, yes, she adored it :)

Deborah Adams,Long Beach, California. said...

You answered my question Elizabeth! I'd often wondered if other artists painted only clients animals and not their own. I've never painted my animals either, for some reason. Funny!
I love the happy faces of Poms.
:-)

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

Don't be so hard on yourself Elizabeth, it's a lovely painting.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

I guess it's something like a busman's holiday Deb or just too busy doing other's :)

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

I didn't mean it that way Gail:). There are some sweet things about it, paticularly Ambers face. Just meant that when your work starts to improve not to cringe at those earlier pieces. If it wasn't for them you wouldn't be able to create what you can now:)