Sunday, 24 July 2011

A Different Life.....

"Heavy Skies over Marshland"
Acrylic 8x8
sold

It's been a strange couple of weeks getting used to not having a horse to care for, a new found freedom I suppose. Sometimes on my morning jaunts I drive past the yard and half expect to see the beautiful head with the broad white blaze gazing back at me. One or two have asked if I'll be getting another horse, the answer is no. Perhaps if I had my own stables and land my arm could have been twisted, but, in my heart of hearts as the clock ticks I know it's time to devote my time to other joys and especially me. It won't be such a huge wrench, my love of horses will never wane and there will always be horses to enjoy from the easel. I have plenty of projects in the wings that will snap up all the spare time, my poor neglected garden for one needs a loving touch and I might even try my hand at growing veggies....on a small scale. What ever I'm getting up too you will no doubt hear about it on here :))



This isn't the best photo I've ever taken but it's the most exciting. This morning while the boys and I took our stroll, I stopped as usual at the metal bridge and looked over. I've learnt from past experiances always to have my camera ready to snap. That said I've never been quick enough for the heron and usually only manage a ducks bum. This morning I almost dropped my camera when I saw this guy playing in the water. At first I thought it was an otter as the light wasn't to good. But when he slithered out on to the rocks I realised it was a Mink. This is the best of the shots and although out of focus you can see him/her. He was gone the minute he sensed me there but on the way back I had another peek. Nothing on this side of the bridge but on the otherside I could see them further along the burn....yep two of them. Too far to get any photos but it was fun watching them play.


Ox Eye Daisies...a whole sea of them, things like this make my day.

Bad Hair day :)


And this was the miss off the day. Spot the dark blob next to the hedge half way up the photo. Yep it's the back end of a Roe Deer. I was trying to capture the summer haze on this field of barley and never even noticed it until I put the photos on my computer. I've been trying for yonks to get a photo of these gorgeous wee deer so missed out ......one day!

8 comments:

Deborah Adams,Long Beach, California. said...

How exciting to see the Mink!And a Roe deer (sort of) as well! I know what you mean about that feeling when driving past the barn. I've not had my horses now for 11years. I still do therapy for client's horses, but it's not quite the same as your own, is it. Lovely photos as usual Elizabeth! Enjoy your Sunday!
~ Deb

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

No will take a bit of getting used to Deb but wonderful memories :)

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

I understand the not getting another horse. Memories are wonderful as are the many photos we have.

Never have seen a Mink! How cool! Same with a Roe dear. Didn't know they were that small until I looked them up. Make ours look huge.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Yes Gail they are dinky little things so pretty but very shy

Rolina said...

Oh, what lovely photos - I have never seen a mink in the wild - how exciting!

Looking forward to reading how you fill your post equine time.

Lee said...

I really love the sense of distance and space your paintings invoke. Loved the little critter photo. I've never seen a mink.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Glad you liked the photos Rolina, it was a first for me too. Think that's why its a bit out off focus my hand was shaking with excitement...lol

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Lee for the lovely comment. I think trying to create the big skies we have here gives the distance in this one :)