Monday, 3 September 2012

Dunkeld Cathedral part 2








 
Second part of the photos from yesterday. It's always lovely visiting Dunkeld but in all the time I've delivered paintings, this is the first time I've actually been up close and personal with the Cathedral. It really is worth a visit. It sits alongside the River Tay surround by giant firs. Ancient ones who if only they could speak would tell Scotlands story. Part of it is still a working church while the rest is a constant restoration project. I stood inside a small room at the end which plays host to various pieces of ancient masonry that has been rescued. Some heraldic coats of arms others memorials to those gone past, theres even a piece which is believed to have Viking connections and not in glass cases so you can actually touch the past.
The down side of the trip none of my works sold at the Cathedral Art Exhibition which helps to gather funds for the ongoing restoration fund. Sadly it would seem the current climate has kept the buyers away and funds will be down this year. But retoration will go on regardless with whatever money the project can haul in.........
 
 

2 comments:

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

The grounds are gorgeous indeed! I view the trees with the same reverence I used to view the Redwoods when I lived in California. The stories they could tell...

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

It's really lovely Gail has a real serenity about it. I forgot to add the link to it's history a good read if your interested. An important part of Scotland's history...