Thursday, 31 January 2013

Gale - head study sketch in oils

 
Gale - head study sketch in oils
 
Followers of my blog might remember this beautiful lady, the lovely Gale. Sadly she died last year leaving quite a void in her family's hearts. First daughter of the wonderful mare Dalkey Sound is fame enough but she is also the dam of top Scottish chaser Silver By Nature or Tonto to us his friends...smile.
This one gave me a bit of grief to start with as I used oil painting paper. I'm not saying I won't use it again but it will take a bit of getting used to. It feels very strange to touch almost plastic and although it doesn't show in the photo has a yellow tinge. I probably shouldn't have used acrylics on oil paper but I wanted a wash as I wash painting a grey horse. That was something of a mistake as the paper buckled. I did think of scrapping it but plodded on and it has smoothed out quite well and has handled the oils ok.
Looking forward to tomorrow........
 




6 comments:

Susan said...

Trouble with the paper or not, he turned out quite beautifully!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Susan I'll continue to experiment on it and see how it goes :)

Karen M Schmidt said...

Hi Elizabeth, it's in our nature as artists to experiment a little now and then, I think, discovering new materials and new ways to use the familiar ones :)

I agree with Susan, this one is looking beautiful!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

It's a good way to freshen our outlook Karen and get inspired anew :)

c.dingman said...

Nice study. Love the muted colors just the right amount of detail and values.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Carlene you comment is very much appreciated :)