Wednesday, 15 October 2014

15th October......

 
This morning just like every morning I got up went through to the kitchen opened the back door and let the dogs out. Sorted Steven into his chair and came back through, usually to the tell the dogs to 'be quiet people are still sleeping'. Then it's fill the kettle and then I cross off the calendar on the wall. All automatic, but today I saw 15th October and memories flooded into my head. On 15th October 1984 I watched from the top of Busbiehill as a rather battered white van pulling a blue trailer made it's winding way. It was carrying a small and somewhat scraggy seven month old Thoroughbred filly foal and life as I had known it was about to change. On hindsight she was an accident waiting to happen from the moment the ramp was brought down. She stood frozen at the top, her eyes bulging out of their sockets and then launched herself into mid air landing in a crumpled heap on the road. By lunch time she had split her head open trying to climb out over the top door of the stable. But I was already in love. Over the years she had many scrapes and bumps often generously sharing them with me too but I wouldn't have changed any of it for the world....well maybe perhaps the road accident. She suddenly became ill on 14th October 2002 and despite the efforts of my vet she passed away on the early hours of the 15th leaving Busbiehill and me eighteen years to the day of arriving. Still love you Rio xx


4 comments:

L. D. said...

Loosing animals is so difficult and yet they are good memories. She had a very good owner that took the good with the bad. It is such a helpless feeling to not keep them going for forever. She was a beautiful horse.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

She was a dream come true Larry. From as soon as I could speak I always wanted a horse. My poor parents ears must have bled. Took a good bit longer but she was worth the wait :)

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

She was lovely. Somehow they imprint upon your mind forever. I have a few I will never forget.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

The photos really don't do her justice Gail if only digital had come earlier lol. I know we all love or own but she really was quite beautiful with a movement in all paces that had been kissed by the Gods....