Saturday, 28 February 2015

Lost....one artist

Thursday evening (26th) I was scrolling aimlessly through Facebook and I suddenly thought, enough, what am I doing here?  I had a 6" x 6" painting sitting on my easel that I started back in January and here I was looking through images of other artist's work. But, I can't just blame Facebook, my art and myself has gradually over the last few years lost direction. I'm not making excuses, I don't really know why, what I do know is that something has to stop or as in this case start. So right there and then I let everyone know who follows me on FB that I would be taking time out from it. I was actually quite surprised when lot's of my artist friends replied to my post that they were feeling the same way. Could it be that social media is taking it's toll and stripping us of our creative juices? Probably not, but I do know I need to retreat to my cave for the time being and find me and my art again. I've always found comfort in writing my blog and will be continuing to do so. There's time to gather your thoughts in a blog. Other avenues of social media are akin to being in a busy rail station or airport with all the rush and noise they create.
Spring is just around the corner, even if the wind is biting cold there are subtle signs that it's coming. The daylight for a start is getting longer, that in itself raises the spirits. Bulbs are tentatively pushing through the surface and my snowdrops, crocuses and dwarf daffodils are already in bloom. The bird station has been moved to the top of the garden and the robin is tolerating another robin in his territory.
I will be back soon, hopefully with a signed painting of poor Colin the moo who looks at me from the easel willing me to finish him. In the meantime thanks for reading...smile!


www.elizabethmccrindle.com


6 comments:

Linda Shantz said...

I know I've already commiserated on Facebook, but seems worth repeating, haha. I find that it's all just too much "noise" - my head gets clouded with everyone else's work, and I can't see a need to do my own anymore. :-P Good luck...hopefully I'll be following in your footsteps!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Ha ha, thanks Linda one can't have enough commiserations :) You describe it perfectly but please don't stop. Just drift off and do your own thing, in your own time, quietly in the peace of your art cave...smile!

Rolina said...

Life does sometimes get in the way of making art, but I have learnt over the years not to worry, I haven't forgotten anything and the break has done me more good than harm.

Good luck for a wonderfully creative time!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Many thanks for the comment Rolina. You are right in what you say you never forget. I'm already looking forward to catching up with my good friend's easel, brushes and paint :D

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

I understand totally. The last month I have severely limited my FB time as it is a time waster. I have so many other things to do, need to do, I finally said enough is enough. Hopefully I'll get over the bout with pneumonia to where I can actually concentrate on art.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

So sorry to hear that you've been poorly Gail here's hoping for some nice Spring like weather to boost your well being. I just find facebook exhausting now...