Sunday, 26 July 2015

Mending a broken art heart....."Sleepy" - pencil drawing

 
"Sleepy" - Pencil drawing
 
Well finally finished "Sleepy" this morning (started last Saturday) which probably doesn't bode too well with the new project I'm about to announce. Couple of days ago while scrolling through facebook I noticed a post on Katherine Tyrrell's Making a Mark page. She shared a link to a British artist called Bryan Eccleshall who had been one of the selected artists to exhibit in this years Jerwood Drawing Prize. But, she also drew attention to a project that Bryan completed in 2013. His 365 project in which he shared a drawing a day for the whole year. Reading the article got me thinking that this could be the answer to my prayers. Maybe that's a bit dramatic but, as someone whose art heart is broken this could be just what I need to get me on the road to mending it. In fact it's been buzzing around my head since I read the piece. So with a wee bit trepidation I'm already planning my own project, but, a wee bit different from Bryan's. My object will be to post art on my blog for the 365 days, might be a drawing, a painting or even just a rough sketch. But for 365 days there will be art on my blog, and hopefully by the end my art heart will be mended. Bryan suggests starting on the first of January logical, but I can't wait that long. He also suggests to plan as much ahead as possible so I've already got an order sent off to Jackson's for sketch pads, pencils, putty rubbers, paint e.t.c., e.t.c. I've got MDF at the ready to be cut into size and gessoed and I've got a date picked to start. My project 365 mend an art heart kicks off on August 5th 2015. I know, your wondering why August 5th, well the 2016 Rio Olympics start on August 5th and I think this is going to be a bit of an olympic effort from me to pull this off...smile!
 

4 comments:

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

An excellent project Elizabeth! I'll be looking forward to your posts!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Gail I'm really looking forward to August 5th. Have had a lot of fun this last wee while with just pencil and paper, so looking forward to doing more :)

Linda Shantz said...

Good for you, Elizabeth! I'll cheer you on...and who knows, maybe your journey will get me out of my own slump! (Don't hold your breath!)

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Linda for the encouragement. I really need to just paint for myself, to try and recapture something that's been lost along the way. Blogging I think is a much better place to do that than facebook, even if it sometimes feels that know one is looking. I will of course share my blog to the usual outlets, fb,twitter e.t.c but I think I'll be too busy to spend 'actual' time on them. It's going to be the keeping up with cutting boards, priming e.t.c. But, hopefully without the 'other' distractions I'll cope. I do hope you get over your painters block but I'm happy to see you are having lot's of fun with your four legged friends. Following some of Juliet and Kim's posts I'm guessing your too busy at home to make Saratoga? Or maybe your holding back for the Breeder's Cup...smile!
Thanks again for commenting and say hello now and again so I know there is someone out there lol