Thursday, 3 December 2015

Work in progress..."Morning Glory"


"Morning Glory" Acrylic 8" x 8.5"

Had a lovely afternoon splashing paint around in the studio. Not sure if this one is done will leave it now, for a wee while, then go back and look at it. Doing my best these days to take things slowly. I've lost count of the number of paintings I've done that I wish I could get them back and do differently.
Can hardly believe we are at December already was quite depressed when I turned the calendar to the last month of the year yesterday. But, the depression didn't last long as I looked at the photograph and its story. Every year for as long as I can remember I've bought a calendar in support of the Injured Jockey's Fund. This past year I have been treated to a selection of photograph's chosen by the former National Hunt jockey John Francome. All have been great choices but December was dedicated to his former boss the late and great trainer Fred Winter. Tried putting the image on but its a bit grainy. The horse is the great Lanzarote with Fred Winter on top. John spent his whole racing career with Fred Winter and recalled going to Uplands for his interview one Saturday afternoon. Fred was less than impressed with him and worried that he might get too heavy to be a jockey. John said " When he asked me what was the lightest I had ever been I said about 7lbs 3ozs. He was not blessed with the greatest sense of humour and I think he took me on out of curiosity!" Made me giggle and cheered me up for the rest of the day :)


4 comments:

Linda Shantz said...

Love the WIP...and that is a funny story. :-) Have you read any of John Francome's books? Gives Dick Francis a run for his money. ;-)

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Thanks Linda it probably will remain as is but I've set it aside where I can see it. Mind you it's usually when they are all framed up and hanging on the wall that something becomes annoying. Then the need to take it out the frame and change it becomes an itch you can't scratch :) Surprisingly I haven't read any of his books, maybe I should rectify that soon :)

Linda Shantz said...

I try really hard not to touch them once they're framed! And his books are definitely good for a light horsey read!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Stocking up for Christmas so might add one to the pile :)